Wednesday, August 02, 2017

Quality time with Grandma.

My parents live far away and when they are in town visiting I like to make the most of our time by filling our days with meaningful memories and once in a life time experiences. 

Just kidding.  We go grocery shopping and take the kids to the park and stuff because life goes on, even when Grandma and Grandpa are here.
So I was at the grocery store with my mother and my youngest child, who interestingly enough BEGGED to go with us to the store.  Usually when I try to drag the children to the store they act like they are dying or like I am torturing them by making them participate in something which is SOOOO BORING, especially because we all know that when they beg for cookies I will say NO. Because I’m the worst.

Curious behavior to be sure, but I’m pretty sure it was just to get me and Grandma alone so she could interrogate us because as I was pushing our laden cart through the aisles of the grocery store she comes out with this: “Grandma?  Did Mom do chores when she was growing up?”  I jumped in quickly because Grandma had inexplicably choked on something, as she sputtered I said emphatically “Yes.  Yes I did.  All the time, without being asked.” 

“Grandma is that true?”  Grandma was still coughing, although it sounded suspiciously like she was trying not to snort-laugh out of her nose. I fixed her with an evil glare to let her know that she had BETTER back me up on this one.

“Yes! True, all true,” she managed to sputter.

Shockingly Athena didn’t appear convinced.


As we pushed on through the store my mother growled “You have to prepare me for these things,” behind her palm.

No comments: