Monday, April 30, 2007

I finished something...sorta.

and I'm pretty freakin' proud of myself if I do say so. Most Lansingers will recognize that logo as belonging to our quintessential breakfast place on the North Side, The Golden Harvest. "North Lansing Against the World," shiver me timbers and make that over easy with extra bacon. I swear I was eating there before the logo changed to incorporate the Skull and crossed eating utensils, because of the food of course. The pirate theme is just a big ol' bonus. And over the years of eating there I've become friends with the owner. I made him some fancy curtains, he refuses to charge me for my breakfast, our kids play together, and every once in awhile when neither of us is working we might do something out in the real world, although frankly I can't remember the last time that happened. Anyway, he had a birthday a couple of weeks ago. I had just finished another "we call them pirates," and was on a fair isle kick. So, armed with some "knitters" graph paper, and some silky wool, I knit furiously for 4 or 5 days and this hat sprung fully formed from my needles, like Athena from the skull of Zeus.

There's only one teeny tiny little problem:
Yes kiddies, that's what happens when you swatch with one yarn and then switch to another for the final project. That's the difference between 9 rows per inch and 7 rows per inch. Turns out that those 2 rows per inch add up rather dramatically, and if only I'd left some eye holes it would be a nifty G.H. themed ski-mask.

So I think I'm going to give it to him anyway, but keep tweaking the design so that it might someday fit a human being as opposed to a mutant with a long cylindrical head.

This is the hat as modeled by Manimal as it might be worn on a normal head.It seems to lose something....

Ragnar...swatch twice, silly pirate.

6 comments:

Mouse said...

I'm in awe of your fair isle skills.. could you felt it a bit to fit one of his children? just a thought.

Andi said...

Find a long cylindrical dummy head and just have it on display in the restaurant. I'm in awe of your skillz!

Anonymous said...

I love it. Maybe Zane will cook while wearing it in the winter! The envy of every diner at GH!

Anonymous said...

that hat rocks. Now can you make one of a bloody just yanked molar? pretty please? :)

Obsidian Kitten said...

SO cool. i like it on the cute manimal, too.

fun meeting you over at mccray weaving today. we will have to put our wheels together sometime, or knit something, or, i dunno, make some kind of domestic disturbance. like tie the geeks up in lots of freshly spun fiber and make them submit to the will of our collective goddessry.

yours in domestic piracy,
shan

Anonymous said...

You are Awesome! The hat is amazing! Its great to see Manimal too.