Tuesday, April 18, 2006

One of those Hallmark moments

I was going to blog about the massacre of my tomato plants, willfully gnawed on and uprooted by some horrible neighborhood creature...I blame the squirrels, but then something happened that made that seem utterly insignifigant.

That being the thing that I've been hoping and praying for for the last 3 or 4 years. That being a thing that will severely limit my ability to blog regularly in the future.

That being I got fired from my job! Well layed of technically, there was much protestation about how it was not because I was doing a bad job. In fact my evil boss (Who I can trash at will! Because what they hell is she going to do? Fire me? Ha ha!) made quite a lot of noise about how sorry she was and how she would be happy to give me a letter of recommendation etc. She even left me alone to clean out my office so that I could delete incriminating evidence from my computer...like the bookmark to this blog. Don't worry, I left up the Jolly Roger wallpaper on the desk top so whoever they get to replace me (at half my wage, I'm sure) will have a little Ragnar reminder.

Why have I been hoping and praying for this? Well, because I hated the job, and I was close to walking out once a week or so. Had I walked out though, I would not be getting unemployment checks...and now I will. I probably wouldn't be getting letters of recommendation either...and now I will. So I will have some income for the next 6 months or so while I get restablished in art. This is the best of both worlds as it were.

The really strange thing is that I dropped off a check with my studio landlord this morning that payed the rent on my little spot of heaven for the next year...yes I am fully paid up, rent, utilities...everything until next April. The only thing I have to buy is beer...and, you know fabric etc. So really this couldn't have happened at a better time.

The only thing that makes me sad about it is that I don't have a computer at home (I am at the library right now, which is only 2 blocks away from my house) so I won't be able to keep in touch with you all as easily...but I'm not disappearing! Never fear. If I can build my customer base back up with custom quilting then I might be able to justify a computer purchase...gotta keep track of those invoices right? And I already have an offer to hang a show...as soon as I have enough work finished to fill the space.

So anyway. Yeah. That's what happened to me this morning. I think I'm going to have a party...after I get back from the unemployment office.

Ragnar...unemployed, rather than underemployed....and that's really better don't you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy cow

you are welcome to use my computer when you need it

so, guess i am driving you to the beer club, eh?

Beverley said...

Oh ... Not sure if to say sorry to hear that or congrats..! Whatever fits. Not sure I can cope with you not blogging so much tho. Have got quite addicated, in a nice way to reading you most days.

But I am envious as this is what I want to do. Work part-time and do my craft dip at the local polytechnic. Partner has offered to help support me so if I can get DS2 and kids more settled perhaps next year is my year.

All the best as you carve out your future.

PS I am waiting to go to festival before I send your card.......??!!

Knit/quilt on >^..^<

Anonymous said...

I'm so sor...wait, no. Congratu...well, that doesn't seem right either.

Um...I'll have a beer tonight in your honor. How about that?